Speeding Offence Solicitors

Request a Free No Obligation Phone Consultation

Get Expert Legal Help Today

Call NowEmail

5.0 110 reviews

Have you been caught speeding?

Our speeding offence solicitors can help you.

If you are worried about your driving licence we can give you advice on your speeding offence.

We provide advice about protecting your licence against penalty points and disqualifications.

Whether you have been caught driving at a high speed or if you have totted up 12 points, our Nottingham speeding solicitors will help you get the best outcome.

Get in touch if you have received:

  • a letter from the police telling you you have too many points to receive a fixed penalty for speeding
  • a Single Justice Procedure Notice for a speeding offence
  • a Notice of Proposed Driving Disqualification
  • a Court Summons
  • a Postal Requisition
  • a court hearing date for consideration of disqualification

Call now on 0115 784 0382

Fixed Penalty and Course Limits

You may not need to go to court if you are eligible for a fixed penalty or driver awareness course. The limits for being offered a fixed penalty or course are below.


Speed LimitMax Speed for CourseMax Speed for Fixed Penalty
20 mph31 mph34 mph
30 mph42 mph49 mph
40 mph53 mph65 mph
50 mph64 mph75 mph
60 mph75 mph85 mph
70 mph86 mph95 mph


If you were caught speeding above the maximum speed for a fixed penalty listed above, your matter will almost certainly go to court. General information about speeding can be found on the government website.

How we help

  • We can advise you on your plea.
  • We can respond to your Single Justice Procedure Notice for you and enter your plea to speeding.
  • We can write your mitigation for you.
  • We can tell you how to strengthen your case.
  • We can represent you in court
  • We give you the best chance of avoiding a driving ban or of keeping the penalty to a minimum.

Call now on 0115 784 0382

Single Justice Procedure Notice for Speeding Offences

If you have received a Single Justice Procedure Notice for speeding, speak to us today.

If you need help writing your mitigation, our motoring lawyers will do it for you. Our vast experience in traffic cases means we can write persuasive mitigation.

We know what factors can be taken into consideration as mitigation for a speeding offence.

Pragma lawyers will explain your situation to the court with the aim of getting you the most lenient penalty.

We can enter your plea for you and you won’t need to worry about writing the ‘wrong’ thing.

Speeding Offence Solicitors to Represent You in Court

If you have to go to court for speeding, get in touch now!

We can represent you in court. Give yourself the best chance of avoiding or reducing a driving ban.

If you are wondering whether you need a solicitor for a speeding offence, give us a FREE, no obligation call.

With our speeding offence solicitors on your side in court, you will feel calmer and more confident. All our solicitors have been qualified for at least 14 years.

Looking For Advice About A Speeding Offence?

Talk to us today about how we can help you with your driving offence

Speeding Offence FAQs

Do I have to get points or a ban for speeding?

Yes, if you are convicted of speeding and have no special reasons you will receive either points or a ban.

The court has no power to impose a more substantial fine in place of points or a ban.

Will I be eligible for a speed awareness course?

These are offered at the discretion of the police and within a fixed time limit. The court cannot offer speed awareness courses.

Requirements for eligibility are:

  • You have admitted to being the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence and returned the documentation within the 28 day period calculated from the date the notice was sent to you.
  • No more than 12 weeks have elapsed since the date of the alleged offence.
  • There were no further offences committed at the time of the alleged offence.
  • You have not attended a speed awareness course within the 3 years prior to the current offence.
  • You were driving at a speed which qualifies.

Will I be sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) for Speeding?

Unless you were stopped at the time or involved in an accident, the police must send a Notice of Intended Prosecution to the registered keeper or driver so that it arrives within 14 days.

The Notice of Intended Prosecution is usually combined with a request for driver information. If you do not respond to the request, you are likely to be convicted of an offence of failing to give driver details. That offence carries 6 points or a discretionary disqualification.

Can the Police disqualify me for Speeding?

The Police cannot disqualify you for speeding. Only courts can impose driving disqualifications.

The police have no power to impose a driving disqualification for any offence. The police can only offer fixed penalties which carry points and a fine depending on the offence.

You do not have to accept fixed penalties if you do not accept the offence. 

Can I still accept a Fixed Penalty once I've received a Single Justice Procedure Notice?

No, unfortunately, once a Single Justice Procedure Notice has been issued for speeding it can’t be changed back to a Fixed Penalty Notice.

You may be able to plead guilty without attending court. If there’s a good reason why you missed the Fixed Penalty Notice deadline, the court may decide to order that you pay the original fine and no additional prosecution costs.

What Corroboration is required?

The law states that a person prosecuted for speeding shall not be convicted solely on the evidence of one witness to the effect that, in the opinion of the witness, the defendant was driving at a speed exceeding that limit.

These corroboration requirements do not apply to motorway speeding offences (overall speed limit on motorways) except those motorway speed limits relating to special classes of vehicles.

The corroborative witness must form the opinion that the vehicle is speeding at the same moment as the first witness. It means you can’t have two different witnesses forming a view as to speed when the vehicle is at two different places.

Corroboration can also be provided by the speedometer of a police vehicle, radar equipment, or Vascar or by the speed testing device being used. You can be convicted on the evidence of one police officer supported by evidence by him of the reading of a speedometer or other mechanical means, even if there is no evidence that the speedometer had been tested. The same principle applies to radar guns. This may not be the case if the speed alleged is only marginally over the limit.

Can I challenge the speed camera's accuracy?

Yes, and we have done so successfully in the past. The manufacturers of speed detection devices maintain that they are incredibly accurate if operated correctly. That is likely to be correct, but the accuracy also relies on how a person operates the equipment. Human error can result in erroneous readings.

Likelihood of success will depend on several factors, but given the technicalities involved, successful challenges are time-consuming, and therefore rarely cheap. You must think very carefully before embarking on a challenge, and at Pragma, we can talk you through the process so you can make an informed decision.

Get Help

Get in touch by completing the contact form below, and one of our team will get back to you.

5 + 4 =